Agua Fresca, which translates literally to “fresh water” in Spanish, is a universally adored thirst-quencher during the warm days of summer. Sold by street vendors in Mexico and all over Latin America, Agua Fresca is just the thing to enjoy all summer and an absolute must for Cinco de Mayo.
In this post you’ll find an easy recipe for Watermelon Ague Fresca.
Then I’ll show you how to make variations like strawberry, cantaloupe, papayas, pineapple or mango.
Plus my recipes for Cucumber Lime and Watermelon Tequila Agua Fresca.
Everything you’ll ever need to know about Agua Fresca!
Light and refreshing, this beverage is perfect for entertaining because it’s delicious, everyone likes it, it colorful and looks beautiful both in serving containers and in the glass.
If you’re planning a Cinco de Mayo party you’ll also love these frugal and fabulous recipes:
It looks especially lovely in a Glass Sangria Set
While this is a perfect summertime, non-alcoholic refreshment, if you choose to mix this with your favorite adult libations, no one would be mad at you.
Diva Tip – Watermelon is the most cost effective fruit to use, especially to serve to a crowd.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
Yield: 8 (eight oz.) servings.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 Cups Watermelon, rind removed, seeded and diced
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 tablespoons Sugar – or to taste
- Put watermelon, water lime juice and sugar into your food processor or blender in small batches and puree until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more to combine the flavors.
- Using a fine strainer, strain into a pitcher but push most of the pulp through with a spoon.
- Serve over ice.
To make variations of Agua Fresca:
- Substitute 4 cups of any of the following fruits:
- Strawberries, cantaloupes, papayas, pineapple or mango for the watermelon above.
- Or mix several fruits together to make your own custom blend.
- Most fruits blend well with fresh mint, or basil.
- Add honey in place of the sugar.
- Any citrus can substitute for the lime.
To make this beverage more like a spritzer; add some club soda or lemon lime soda.
WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA
- Blender or food processor
- 4 cups watermelon rind removed, seeded and diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sugar or honey or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Put watermelon, water, lime juice and sugar into your blender or food processor, in small batches if necessary, and puree until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more for the flavors to combine.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain into a pitcher, pushing some of the pulp through with a spoon. This step is optional for those who like a drink you can chew. Serve over ice.
Here’s a wonderful combination that is guaranteed to be the coolest of cool in your hottest of heat. By the way, this is absolutely divine mixed with a little gin.
CUCUMBER LIME AGUA FRESCA
- food processor or blender
- 4 cups cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup mint
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- In a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing on solids to get every last wonderful drop of goodness.
- Serve over ice garnished with cucumber and lime slices. This is absolutely divine mixed with a little gin.
Tequila Watermelon Agua Fresca
Just in case you wanted to add a little frisky to your fresca. This recipe uses tequila but light rum, dark rum and vodka also work.
TEQUILA WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA
- 2 large mint sprigs at least 12 leaves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 cups Watermelon Agua Fresca recipe above
- 4 ounces tequila
- In a large pitcher, muddle together mint, sugar, pinch salt, and lime juice.
- Add Watermelon Agua Fresca and tequila, stirring to combine. Add ice to fill the pitcher.
- To serve, fill a glass and garnish with watermelon, mint or lime as desired. If you really want to get fancy a sugar and salt rim on the glass would be a nice touch. Enjoy!
Experiment with your own combinations of fruits and herbs and come up with your own signature blend to enjoy all summer and for many summers to come. Cheers!