We are so fortunate in The United States. We’re about to enjoy this three-day weekend, we’ll bust out the BBQ and fill the pool for the official, unofficial start of summer.
But while we celebrate, let’s never forget Memorial Day is our opportunity to honor and pay tribute to the brave soldiers, men and women, who have given their lives while serving in the armed forces. We celebrate in their memory and in appreciation of the freedom we revel in, because of them.
Let’s hope we’ll all gather with friends and loved ones for this remembrance. Where ever people gather, there shall be food. Let’s make sure it’s good food! Really good food.
Past experience has shown the BBQ gets it first good workout this weekend so let’s do something extraordinary! I have an appetizer kabob recipe that will thrill the carnivores in your crowd.
Are you ready for Bacon Lollipops? Stick with me! (get it? stick? I crack me up.) This little bite packs a big punch. It’s so flavorful; sweet, savory, smoky, crunchy and chewy. It’s all the things! It’s also very attractive on the plate. And addictive. You may wish to double the recipe.
Bacon Lollipops Ala Diva
Yield: about 12 portions Time: 90 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- Short Bamboo Skewers
- 1 (12 oz. or 16 oz.) package bacon – thick cut
- ½ cup BBQ sauce- -your favorite
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Green onion – optional garnish
This recipe starts in the oven and finishes on the grill. Soak your bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes prior to preparing this recipe. Here’s where you get good, cheap skewers – Fox Run Bamboo Skewers, Set of 100
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and add a baking rack.
- Keep your bacon stacked together while you remove it from the package. Still stacked; slice one inch wide strips from the block. Now skewer each strip on a skewer. Place the skewered lollipops on the baking rack.
- Bake the lollipops in the oven for 35 minutes to render some of the fat. This will keep them from flaring up when you finish the dish on the BBQ.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan on medium-low heat, heat the BBQ sauce and brown sugar until the sugar dissolves. This thickens the sauce so it’ll stick.
- After 35 minutes, remove the sheet pan from the oven and set aside until you can handle the skewers. Baste each lollipop with the BBQ sauce mixture and set on a clean plate. Refrigerate the lollipops for 20 minutes. Don’t skip this step.
- Meanwhile, heat your grill to medium-low. Grill the lollipops for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp but not burned. There’s a fine line so please don’t walk away! Remove from grill and plate, garnishing with green onions if desired.
Since you like the idea of super charged bacon you’ll LOVE this burger – Candied Bacon Cheddar Burger
I used the inexpensive bacon that often goes on sale for under three dollars. You don’t need to spring for the good bacon, unless you really want to.
Diva Tip – You can use maple syrup in place of some or all of the BBQ sauce! OMG!
These pops are a wonderful addition to an appetizer cheese board or with grilled spring vegetables. Or with olives and almonds.
Another great appetizer idea to serve along with the Bacon Lollipops is this Melon, Cucumber, Feta and Mint Salad.
If you want to make this amazing appetizer without heating the big bbq – try this: Weber 10020 Smokey Joe 14-Inch Portable Grill
All of us at Divas On A Dime wish you a safe and happy Memorial Weekend.
You may also like: Meet your new Favorite Food – Diva’s Bacon Jam