Need something cool to occupy the kiddies? (Or the kids at heart?)
Make a bird feeder from a toilet paper roll!
Wait! Don’t go! Hear me out.
This is a great summer fun activity. It’s so cool to see the birds come to the feeder, so make sure you place it somewhere visible from a window or the patio. You may want to add a birdbath or other water source to attract even more birds.
Do a quickie Google search for common birds in your area and keep a journal of the birds you see. This also presents fantastic opportunities for nature photography.
See? Not bad for something that costs literally pennies.
Toilet Roll Bird Feeder
What You’ll Need:
- Empty toilet paper roll or rolls
- Peanut butter – creamy works best
- Bird seed
- Twine, string or ribbon
- Schmear the toilet roll with peanut butter. If your littles are very little have them use a plastic knife or a popsicle stick so they don’t poke their eyes out or savagely attack the weaker and slower.
- Roll it in bird seed.
- Thread a piece of twine about 2 feet long through the roll and tie a knot.
- Hang the bird feeder in a tree, on a fence or anywhere the birds can find it. Keep your eyes on it so you can watch the birds enjoying their feast.
Not as much fun as these feeders, but this is really cute! Perky-Pet Mason Jar Wild Bird Feeder
Ready for more summertime boredom busters?
Go here next! Top 10 Summertime Boredom Busters for Kids