Feeding a family is … hectic. With the spouses and kids running off in every direction at different times; how do you make sure everyone gets a quick and healthy breakfast?
Here’s a brilliant idea – frozen breakfast burritos. Eggs, sausage and cheese all wrapped up in a warm tortilla. This is an inexpensive and delicious, freezer to microwave breakfast in two minutes!
It’s “fast food” you can feel great about.
You spend an hour making these on the weekend or whenever you have time and breakfast is easy all week!
Of course, you can put anything you want in your burritos. I like mine packed with lots of protein and veggies. It makes me feel like I’m doing a good job as Mom.
However, if you wish to minimize expense you could certainly add cooked rice and beans because they make a complete protein. I do the low carb thing but my kids would love that!
For an extra couple of dollars, or 25 cents per burrito, you can swap in whole wheat or low carb tortillas for a nutritional boost.
The recipe below costs just 90 cents per burrito (Whaaaaaat?) They’re cheaper than drive thru fast food and a bazillion times healthier. At least!
GRAB AND GO BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Makes 10 burritos
What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. mild pork sausage – or your favorite sausage
- 1 small onion chopped – about a cup
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained – or kale!
- Mushrooms, or other chopped vegetables – optional
- 12 eggs
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package extra-large flour tortillas, 10 count (or your favorite variety)
- Freezer Supplies– waxed paper, foil and 1 gallon zip top freezer bags
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, brown the sausage until nearly cooked through. Add the chopped onion and continue to cook until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, drain and dry the spinach. Twist in a clean kitchen towel to remove as much moisture as possible. Add spinach to sausage mixture.
- If you’re adding mushrooms or any other chopped vegetable (like peppers, tomato, diced cooked potatoes, cooked broccoli) add them to the mixture now and heat through to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, crack and scramble the eggs in a bowl and add them to the sausage and veggie mixture and cook thoroughly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When this mixture is cool, put it in the refrigerator until completely cold.
Diva Tip – cooling the ingredients gradually in the fridge and freezing already cold (rather than sticking them right in the freezer) will make the taste and texture of your finished product SO MUCH BETTER! It has to do with ice crystals destroying structure and reheating like mush and science. Just trust me.
I find it easiest to “assembly line” the burrito making process.
Lay out ten pieces of waxed paper and lay a tortilla on each piece. Place even amounts of the sausage and egg mixture on each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Wrap burrito style and then wrap the burrito in the waxed paper. Next wrap each burrito in foil then place in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer for storage.
When you’re ready to heat, and eat, simply unwrap one frozen burrito and wrap in a moistened paper towel. Place burrito on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 90 seconds to two and a half minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave.
While you’re looking for hacks to fix the breakfast conundrum; check out Breakfast Bowls Save Time, Money and Morning Sanity
These also makes great freezer gifts for friends like new Moms or busy Moms or sick people, or caregivers of sick people, or college students, or anyone who should be enjoying a quick (yet healthy) breakfast.
Seriously, who wouldn’t love a bag of “have a great breakfast and think of me”?
You may also like: The Ultimate Guide to Cheap & Healthy Smoothies