It’s officially pumpkin flavored everything time! Which falls directly between BBQ flavored everything time and peppermint flavored everything time. Sheesh! Where has the year gone?
In my never ending quest to hack this thing we call life, I came upon this ridiculously easy recipe for pumpkin muffins years ago and it has remained a family favorite ever since.
It’s so easy, my kids have been making them by themselves for years. I completely recommend this as a recipe for your Kids in the Kitchen.
The muffins are delectably dense and mouth-wateringly moist and so flavorful you’ll never believe there are only two ingredients: one box of cake mix and one (15 oz.) can of pure pumpkin. That’s it.
I know you’re making a squishy face as you read this but you’ll just have to trust me on this.
What You Need:
- 1 Box standard size cake mix
- One 15 oz. can Pure Pumpkin
- Preheat your oven to 350°. In a mixing bowl, blend your dry cake mix with the pumpkin using a hand mixer. The batter will be stiff. If you want you can add a few tablespoons of milk or water to moisten the batter if your mixer is complaining, but it really doesn’t need it.
- Use cooking spray or place cupcake liners in a regular muffin tin and spoon the batter into the wells. This makes 18 to 24 muffins depending how you divide the batter. Fill the wells about ¾ full as they don’t rise very much. Looking for awesome muffin pans? I can recommend these – Keliwa 12 Cup Silicone Muffin & Cupcake Baking Pan
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes. Your kitchen will smell heavenly.
- They’re done when a tooth pick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with powdered sugar glaze if they last long enough to top.
My kids like them hot out of the oven with a little scoop of ice cream.
What kind of cake mix; you ask? Spice cake mix is out-of-this-world good and the usual companion.
But wait – there’s more! You can use other cake mixes to vary the flavor.
If you use white or yellow cake, you might want to add a generous teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice because we love “fall” spices.
Carrot cake mix is divine made with pumpkin.
Butter Pecan mix is amazing.
Don’t get me started about chocolate cake mixed with pumpkin. Oh! My! Goodness!
Do you like muffins with goodies in them? Goodies like raisins, dried cranberries, nuts, coconut, oats, M&M’s, chocolate chips, toffee chips, cinnamon or butterscotch chips? Add any combination that makes you happy.
You could frost them with cream cheese frosting if you want to be totally decadent.
Using the muffin mixture above you can also make mini muffins; just bake for 10 to 12 minutes, test for doneness with a tooth pick.
To make cookies; use an ice cream scoop for consistent size and place on baking sheet to make cake-like cookies. Bake 8 to 10 minutes depending on size. These make great whoopee pies.
To make a loaf cake; bake for 50 minutes.
These muffins freeze beautifully stored in an airtight container or a zip-top bag and can be made with gluten free cake mix, too.
If you like easy to make goodies, you’ll love – 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
Don’t tell anyone but these are kinda healthy. You’re not adding any oil to the cake mix and you’re sneaking in a veggie. But you didn’t hear that from me.
Let everyone continue to think they’re getting a decadent naughty treat. *wink*