When melons are in peak season the sun ripened sweetness and the rock bottom price make them irresistible. This sweet and savory salad giving a fresh spin on this summer staple is equally irresistible.
So simple and yet so refreshing, just looking at it makes you feel cooler. The juicy ripe melon and its close relation cool crisp cucumber juxtaposed with the salty, savory creamy feta cheese is so delicious together. It’s addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Melon and cucumber go so well together because they’re closely related (members of the plant family Cucurbitaceae) and the textures are similar. The high water content makes them a perfect for warm summer days. Did you know cucumbers are 90% water? No wonder they’re so refreshing!
Melon, Cucumber, Feta and Mint Salad
What You’ll Need:
- ½ half each of two (or more) melons –like cantaloupe, honeydew, canary melon – even watermelon
- 1 small cucumber – peeled
- 1 oz. feta cheese – grated
- Coarse salt
- Good olive oil
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Using a mandolin slicer or sharp knife, slice melons and cucumber in ¼ inch slices.
- Arrange on a platter artistically as you have patience for. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, sprinkle with grated feta, sprinkle lightly with salt and garnish with mint leaves. That’s it!
Alternatively – you could just chop the melons and toss them with the rest of the ingredients. It’ll taste the same but won’t get as many likes on Instagram.
Dive Tip – save money on feta cheese by buying the block instead of crumbles. They’re often the same price but the block contains twice the amount of cheese. It grates and crumbles so easily and it nice to have the option to slice it or dice it.
The last time I made this salad I took it to a party with several other families. I wasn’t sure if the kids would like the feta cheese so I made a separate bowl with nothing but sliced melon. I was pleased to see the kiddies devoured both! I was complimented on the salad and the platter I served it upon. Here’s one suspiciously like it: