This is the easiest Sloppy Joes recipe! Ready in 20 minutes – super cheap – and it’s SO good! The secret is the canned pork and beans, they add the perfect sweet tang that makes this recipe a huge hit. Tuck in your napkin because these are delightfully sloppy!
Yields 4 cups Makes 4 -6 servings.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen 3 pepper and onion blend (or fresh equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 oz) can of pork and beans
- ½ cup ketchup
- 4 to 6 sandwich rolls
- Start heating a large skillet over med-high heat. Defrost the pepper and onion blend in the microwave and drain excess liquid.
- Cook the ground beef in the skillet adding salt and pepper to taste until beef is browned then drain excess fat. To speed cooking time pop the lid on the skillet for a few minutes.
- Add the defrosted onion and pepper blend and chili powder and heat through. Next, add the pork & beans and ketchup, stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut rolls in half horizontally and make your Sloppy Joes.
Note – This isn’t a super sweet Sloppy Joe recipe, if you like your Joes sweeter; simply add the sweetener of your choice to taste – brown sugar, honey, stevia. Or switch some or all of the ketchup for BBQ sauce to up the smoke and sweetness factor.
Wanna boot the bun? This recipe is great served over baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes. Or serve in lettuce leaves or bake in green or red peppers.
Side dish ideas – a big green salad, carrot & celery sticks, corn on the cob, cole slaw, a few potato chips, or some pickles.